Saturday, March 12, 2011

Men's Hockey: ECAC Playoff Update 4

Hanover, NH- The tenth seeded Harvard Crimson rode a two goal first period and were able to hang on to a one goal lead in order to gain a 1-0 series lead over the Dartmouth Big Green. The Crimson got on the board with a power play goal from Alex Killorn early in the first period to get the game off to a fast start. After coincidental minors for a hook and embellishment, Dartmouth answered at the 16:00 minute mark as Adam Estoclet deflected a puck in off his body that stood up to video review. Moments later, Conor Morrison found Ryan Grimshaw coming off the bench and the defenseman saw his point shot tipped by Alex Fallstrom through James Mello's legs to take a 2-1 lead into the break. The game stayed that way until late in the second when Michael Biega found classmate Michael Del Mauro for a one timer with about a minute left in the second frame. In the third, Dartmouth pulled Mello with 2:33 on the clock after a Crimson icing. Alex Fallstrom had a chance to seal the game but defenseman Joe Stejskal knocked the 100 foot shot out of a mid-air to keep Dartmouth in it. Captain Scott Fleming than pulled the Big Green within one and with a 1:26 left, they pulled Mello again with a one-goal deficit. Shots poured in on Ryan Carroll and the best opportunity came with Carroll out of position, but P.O. Michaud dove across the goal line to make the save and the puck bounced to Carroll who covered, avoiding the penalty shot. Harvard held onto the win 3-2.

New Haven, NH- The St. Lawrence Saints scored the first and last goals of the game as they upset the Yale Bulldogs with a 4-3 OT win. After a SLU goal in the first minute, Yale scored three straight power play goals, including two from Jimmy Martin. But St. Lawrence rallied back in the third period to tie things, including a power play goal from Greg Carey to get the game knotted at 3 in the third and send the game to overtime. Carey then added the game winner for the Saints with three and a half minutes left in the extra frame for the win and 1-0 series lead.

Ithaca, NY- The Cornell Big Red defended their home ice as they defeated the Quinnipiac Bobcats 2-1. Joe Devin got on the board first for the Big Red early in the first. The Bobcats responded with about a minute and a half left in the period as Scott Zurevinski knotted things at 1 apiece. Joe Devin got on the board again to make it 2-1 with a power play goal in the second period and that stood up as the game winner. Mike Garman made 36 saves to protect the lead as neither team could find the back of the net in the third period. The Big Red have a 1-0 series lead.

Schnectady, NY- The top seeded Union Dutchmen rolled to an easy victory last night over the Colgate Raiders by a 4-1 scoreline. Union scored two goals in each of the first and third periods, with the lone Colgate goal coming in the second period. Wayne Simpson scored the second and fourth goals of the game, both on the power play for the Dutchmen. Colgate's lone goal came in the second period from Chris Wagner with 7 minutes left in that frame on only their 9th shot of the contest. Union outshot the Colgate Raiders 42-20 overall and took the 1-0 series lead.

Three Stars of the Night
1. Greg Carey, St. Lawrence- 2 goals (1 PPG, GTG, GWG)
2. Wayne Simpson, Union- 2 goals (2 PPG)
3. Joe Devin, Cornell- 2 goals (2 PPG, GWG)

No comments:

Post a Comment