Sunday, August 28, 2011

Crimson Clicks - September 1st, 2011

News, notes, and mentions of Harvard sports in the last couple of weeks.

The New York Times features an excellent article on Ivy League football, "Year of the Quarterback in the Ivy League. " Here is an excerpt mentioning Harvard signalcaller Collier Winters:

"The Harvard senior Collier Winters beat top college quarterbacks, including Andrew Luck of Stanford and Kellen Moore of Boise State, in a passing accuracy contest in July at the Manning Passing Academy, hosted by Archie, Peyton and Eli Manning."

The article also has some quotes from Harvard head coach Tim Murphy. From the paper:

“The 2011 season has a chance to be the most competitive in a long time,” Harvard Coach Tim Murphy said in a recent conference call with reporters. “I don’t think you can look at a single team in our league that doesn’t have an all-Ivy-caliber quarterback back. That’s something I’ve never seen in my 18 years in the league.”

The Gospel Herald, a global Chinese Christian news service, has a nice write-up of former Harvard basketball star and current Golden State Warrior Jeremy Lin's trip to Taiwan.

Canada's The Sports Network writes a story on former Harvard wide receiver and kick returner Marco Iannuzzi's attempts to play football professionally in the CFL for the British Columbia Lions. B.C.'s coach, Wally Buono, had this to say in the article about Iannuzzi:

"He's worked hard in practice...We're not afraid to put him in there. I think he has certain skill sets at this point that can help us. He's done a good job on teams, he has done a good job handling part of the return game. If he gets an opportunity to be a receiver I think he will do fine."

Here are Marco's comments about his experience at Harvard:

"Once that opportunity was thrown in my direction I thought I would be a fool not to pursue it to the fullest...I knew I was so close, I couldn't live the rest of my life thinking I just about got in."

New England Hockey Journal has a post about the newest assistant coach for the Harvard men's hockey team, Jerry Forton.


Until next time, Go Crimson!

No comments:

Post a Comment